Cerebral Palsy Oporto Association is a non-profit, Private Social Solidarity Institution, providing services in the areas of rehabilitation, training and employment, promoting autonomy, inclusion and quality of life of people with cerebral palsy and related neurological situations and other people with additional support needs, in a framework of global and integrated care, through life spam and in active cooperation with the associates.
1. Occupational Activities Center: daily diversified occupational activities which comprise the socially useful activities and the strictly occupational activities, with distinct objectives according to each client, but always looking for the enrichment and social integration of disabled people. The Occupational Activities Center are a service financially supported by a Cooperation Agreement with Porto's Centre of Social Security (CDSS), and each one attends daily 25 to 30 customers, aged over 16 years. APPC currently has this service implemented at 2 of its sites: Oporto Unit (3) and APPC Gondomar - Villa Urbana (1). The annual planning of Occupational Activities Centers is established by a multidisciplinary team, following the methods of Occupational Activities and organized according profile, individual needs and expectations of its persons served.
2. Residential Units:
a) Permanent: The residential unit of APPC, located in Villa Urbana-Gondomar, consists of 14 independent houses, built from scratch thinking of the needs of a person with cerebral palsy. These houses are provided with the technical and human support necessary for the implementation of each of their life projects and independent life. The houses were designed to address key issues and, too many times, basic for daily routine of every individual, including mobility, nutrition and personal hygiene. The use of new communication and information technologies, allow the necessary independence, notably in issues relating to environment monitoring.
b) Temporary: With a capacity up to 24 beds, it temporarily accommodate disabled persons and offers its clients necessary technical and human support for a secure, comfortable stay to promote the well-being of its users.
3. Educational Services
a) Kindergarten “Urbanitos”: The kindergarten's mission is to admit children from 3 years to the age of entry into the 1st cycle and help them grow in a healthy and fun way.It is the duty of the Kindergarten to promote autonomy in the children, perform daily activities according to their needs and characteristics, educating them for life in society and care for others."Urbanitos" is special because it allows its children to contact with a reality that is neither usual in their daily lives nor frequent in other kindergartens.
b) Nursery - In operation since September 2014, the nursery Urbanitos welcome babies from 4 to 36 months, every weekday from 7:30 am to 19h without shutdown periods. Day Care Urbanitos gives your baby the comfort and security environment
necessary for an active learning process. Nursery Educators guide their action by the Education and Educational Project "A hug to the world ... and to you!”, Welcoming children and their families always with the objective of contributing to the
process of adaptation and promotion of lifelong learning .
c) Leisure-time activity center: Inserted in a place where there is a scarcity of responses on the part of the public network and where the private sector cannot offer conditions due to its dispersion, this service provides the opportunity to develop extracurricular activities with appropriate pedagogical content, without neglecting support to curricular activities. For the child population that attends the 1st and 2nd cycle of Basic Education, it is working, since October 2003, in its total capacity: 40 children.
4. Community center: Space open to the community, supporting the realization of individual and collective projects, with activities that promote the improvement of the living conditions of the population and local development. Allows the individual, group and family the exercise of the right to citizenship and social integration, contributing to the increase in its powers of action/intervention in changing. The Community Center of the Villa Urbana intends to integrate, encourage participation and promote personal development to a wide range of population, with a huge age diversity (youth, senior, people with disabilities), in order to strengthen integration.
5. Groups of mutual help (gam): GAMs are composed of a set of people who share a problem or situation and come together to solve it. Its general objective is to provide emotional support, information, development of interpersonal skills and promotion of strategies to deal with problems. There are two types of GAMs: individuals with Cerebral Palsy and parents of individuals with Cerebral Palsy. Participation in GAMs is free.
6. Transport service for People with Disability: Fitted with a fleet fully adapted to special needs, APPC provides a shuttle service to all those who have mobility difficulties.
7. Resource center for employment of person with disability The APPC is since 2013 Resource Center, I.P. (IEFP) accredited by the Institute of Employment and Vocational Training as a specialized support structure and support for vocational rehabilitation promoted by employment centers in the municipalities of Porto, Matosinhos, Maia, Gondomar and Valongo; In 2015 it was accredited by the IEFP as Professional Insertion Office Inclusive, I.P. (IEFP), and therefore support structure for inclusion of people with disabilities in the labor market in close cooperation with the Guimarães job centers, Viana do Castelo, Braga, Porto, Porto, Valongo, Gondomar and Vila Real. Its general objective the inclusion of people with disabilities in the labor market, enhancing their participation as citizens prepared and active contributors in adulthood.
8. Prescription for assistive technology center support products, distinguished as Specialized Center with Rehabilitation Team consisting of medical and technical expert staff (level III) assesses and prescribes support products for anyone with a disability or incapacity, temporary or permanent. With customer participation, the product support to better ensure that individual functionality is prescribed by the team.
9. Information service: access to updated information is the key step for training our customers and their families. Thus, APPC provides objective information to help families understand the condition, alternatives, opportunities and solutions, creating, of course, conditions for feedback from families in finding alternatives and decision making. This organized information sharing happens through: (1) the access to available resources; (2) the programs and services available in APPC and (3) at the nearest community of each family and also (4) the rights and duties of our current and potential customers through free legal aid.
10. Participation service: the development of skills for autonomy and for the active life to young and adults merits special attention because we want to contribute to forming active and responsible citizen. For this, from the age of six, we diversified our intervention providing structured programs aimed at developing specific skills and mobility in the community, but also individual financial management, autonomy in daily living activities or sexuality, among other themes.
11. Prescription for assistive technology service: technology and support products are guarantees of quality of life for people with disability, as they reduce the barriers to their participation. Therefore, we provide a specialized service in consultancy, evaluation, prescription and monitoring of clients under the support of products (assistive technology).
12. Early intervention teams: the importance of intervening at an early age to prevent or mitigate problems arising from an injury to the immature brain is a fundamental issue of children's rights. Unquestionably the key role of experiences in the development of any human being. We also know that parents, significant others and the child natural environment have a fundamental influence on its development. Therefore, we provide support and resources to families with cerebral palsy or related neurological conditions so it can potentiate their formal and informal support networks. This means that from interdisciplinary teams, and taking an interdisciplinary intervention we optimize learning opportunities and development of our children in their natural contexts, establishing in cooperation with the family and other community resources, individual intervention plans.
13. Welfare service: thinking of caring for the carers, we created a service for the families of our customers, who can find solutions for your well-being in the context of psychology consultations, massages, reiki, acupuncture, pilates, yoga. In the same spirit, we provide psychological consultations for our adult customers and specialized physiotherapy interventions following infiltrations by botulinum toxin and post-cirurgical in their natural contexts, establishing cooperation with the family and other community resources, individual intervention plans.
14. Support technology services for communication and information service: communication and access to information is one of our greatest challenges today. Without them people with cerebral palsy do not have opportunities to participate. For this, we cooperate with several partners to find solutions to each of our clients communicate with their communicative partners. Thus, from low-tech solutions such as traditional areas of communication with pictograms, to high-tech solutions such as GRID or Magic Eye, built with each individual family solutions.
15. Medical center: complexity and comorbidities associated with cerebral palsy and related neurological conditions invite coexistence of different medical specialties. So, from our office of nutrition and our physiatrists, in conjunction with the main hospitals in the Greater Porto, we got a concerted provision of health services: orthopedics, pediatric orthopedics, neonatology, pediatric surgery, developmental pediatrics, ophthalmology. Soon, we will also have available dentistry, neurology, psychiatry and gastroenterology.
A Associação do Porto de Paralisia Cerebral é uma Instituição Particular de Solidariedade Social, que presta serviços nas áreas da reabilitação, formação e ocupação, promovendo autonomia, inclusão e qualidade de vida das pessoas com paralisia cerebral e situações neurológicas afins e outras pessoas com necessidades de suporte adicional, numa lógica de cuidados globais e integrados, ao longo de toda a sua vida e em cooperação ativa com os associados.